CRITICAL MESS is a photography magazine created to promote photography in all forms: standalone snapshots, vast documentary projects, conceptual photography, classic or modern street photography, photojurnalist or artistic endeavors, photobooks, articles and essays.
The magazine is aiming to provide quality content to you, our reader and friend, as your time is valuable and we want you to comeback and visit us again. Be sure that in each thing we show or recommend we are giving it our best.
CRITICAL MESS was created by Cristian Bassa, photographer, editor of Foto4All Magazine (2015-2016) and main editor for Oitzarisme Magazine (2014-2016).
If you have any project or photos you would like to share with us or ask for feedback use the communication channels listed below. Or just to say hello!
CRITICAL (via http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary)
1. of, relating to, or being a turning point or specially important juncture; relating to or being the stage of a disease at which an abrupt change for better or worse may be expected; being or relating to an illness or condition involving danger of death; relating to or being a state in which or a measurement or point at which some quality, property, or phenomenon suffers a definite change; crucial, decisive; indispensable, vital ; being in or approaching a state of crisis
2. inclined to criticize severely and unfavorably; consisting of or involving criticism; of or relating to the judgment of critics; exercising or involving careful judgment or judicious evaluation
3. of sufficient size to sustain a chain reaction — used of a mass of fissionable material; sustaining a nuclear chain reaction
MESS (via http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary)
1. a quantity of food
2. a group of persons who regularly take their meals together
3. a disordered, untidy, offensive, or unpleasant state or condition
4. a large quantity or number
Submissions rules and guidelines:
– everything in English
– send all photos from the project – long side minimum 1000px, no watermark.
(if possible, filenames should be FIRSTNAME FAMILYNAME – PROJECTNAME PHOTONUMBER eg: John DOE – A day in my Life 01.jpg). In case you want to send a photobook please contact me for the mailing address. In case your project has more than 50 photos please contact me before sending anything.
– link to your personal portfolio website where viewers can see the whole project
– project statement
– a short bio
– your contact – website or email address
Terms and conditions:
By submitting material for publication you are stipulating
– you are the owner and/or copyright holder and/or have all necessary permissions to use/submit those materials, either photo or text.
– you are granting a non-exclusive license to use the photograph for publication. This is your OK given to us so we can feature your work in our site and social media accounts related. There will be no other use of your materials, unless specified clearly and with your requested permission. We respect your work and we know the time and effort you put into it.
– you are not expecting any financial gain. We are non-profit non-funded magazine and unfortunately at this time we cannot offer any financial benefits for our contributors. None of the photographs on the site may be altered or used in any form without prior written permission from the copyright holder. Works published on this website are protected under domestic and international copyright laws and are not considered to be public domain.
– all the additional information you have provided alongside with submission is correct.
– you accept the fact not all the submitted projects and photos will be published. This is an editorial choice. But we will try to browse through the submitted portfolio on your website. Sometimes we will request a different project or series for inclusion in our magazine. Note that your project may or may not be published after submission. A selection of images may or may not occur.